Smoked salmon, crispy golden potatoes shallow fried in olive oil and jammy soft boiled egg are the perfect combination to create the ultimate breakfast dish.
• 4 large white potatoes
• 2 egg whites
• 2 tablespoons all purpose white flour
• Salt and pepper
• Olive oil
Smoked Salmon & Jammy Eggs
• 200g Woodbridge Smokehouse Cold Smoked Atlantic Salmon
• 2 – 4 eggs cold from the fridge
Herbed Creme Fraiche
• 200ml Creme Fraiche
• 1/2 bunch fresh dill
• 1 bunch fresh chives finely chopped
• 1/4 lemon
- Wash your potatoes under cold water and drain well.
- Using the coarse side of a cheese grater, grate your potatoes. Place the grated potatoes into a clean tea towel and squeeze all of the moisture out of them. You can also use just your hands for this step. Try to release as much moisture from the potatoes as possible and then place into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the flour, egg whites and a generous amount of salt and pepper with the potatoes into the mixing bowl and mix well with your hands. Your potato rosti mixture should be sticking quite nicely together however, you can add a little bit more flour if needed.
- In a medium sized pan add enough olive oil so you can shallow fry the potato rosti. You want the olive oil to be 2 – 3cm deep. Bring your olive oil to heat on a high heat. Once there is a haze coming from the pan, turn the heat down to medium.
- Take a handful of potato rosti mixture and flatten well into the palm of your hands. Try to make sure the level of thickness is even throughout. Place 2 – 3 potato rosti into the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until they are golden and crispy. Place the cooked potato rosti on a pre-lined plate with absorbent paper and repeat this with the remainder of the mixture.
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to the boil. Slowly add your eggs to the pot and cook for 6.5 minutes.
- Place your eggs into a bowl with icy cold water to prevent them from cooking any further. Peel their shell and cut in half when ready to serve.
Herbed Creme Fraiche
- Combine all ingredients into a medium sized bowl and mix well with a spoon until all ingredients are well combined. Serve immediately or cover and leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
- Assemble all ingredients onto a plate and finish off with a sprinkling of fresh dill and chives.